History

Way back when...

The River Main has been used to transport wood, salt and many other goods for many centuries.

More than a century ago...

A treaty signed between the states of Bavaria, Prussia, Baden and Hessen in 1906 declared the River Main open for commercial shipping development. Construction of the Aschaffenburg harbour began in 1914 and ended in 1921 with its opening. Important goods in transit in the first years were coal and coke for the region and for the steam trains of Bavaria’s railways, Bayerische Reichsbahn.

A few decades back…

With trucks gaining in importance, the harbour developed into an important interface between ship, rail and truck.

The nineties...

The nineties were characterised by the modernisation of harbour infrastructure. During this period more than DM 25-million were invested just in quay facilities and new crane systems. With this came five state-of-the-art crane systems designed to handle up to 50 tonnes of freight handling. The container terminal has been in operation since 1999. Additionally we have at our disposal more than five loading points for liquid goods.

The new millennium...
For the next few years, the German Federal Transport Infrastructure Plan envisages deepening the shipping lane of the River Main by more than 3.30 metres. Harbour access is to be widened at the centre and the traffic signal facility is to be upgraded. Upgrading the traffic infrastructure to optimise its combined transport offer is in the planning phase.


For a detailed history of bayernhafen Aschaffenburg:

A journey in time from the Kingdom of Bavaria to the 21st century

Stay in touch XING YouTube